Let us join hands to regain the green canopy and water resources of Kerala. We shall take a pledge to keep our environment in its purest form so as to keep our umbilical cord with Nature intact. Imbibing the success stories of the Literacy Mission in the past, let us put in our full-hearted efforts to save our air, soil and water for posterity. At the grass root level, we must contact our ward members, extend our support and ensure our participation. Activities which have been prioritized for implementation have to be set in motion on war footing right from 8th December 2018. The local self-governing institutions have to play the lead role with the active participation of the masses. Action groups and People’s forums have to be constituted at local levels as in the case of Decentralization Planning model. These programmes will be implemented with the active participation of voluntary organizations, youth associations, political parties, technical experts, students, social activists, a philanthropic organization, environmentalist, resident associations and other all discerning groups. The following projects can be implemented considering the viability and requirements of each region in consultation with the subject experts.
- A list of public wells in every locality is to be prepared. The surroundings of the wells have to be kept hygienic, clean and tidy. Recharge the open wells with rain waters.
- A list of ponds needs to be prepared. Ponds shall be cleaned, desilted and purity of water shall be ensured.
- Canals and streams have to be revived.
- Lakes have to be desilted. Zero Dumping of garbage and waste have to be dispensed with Purity of water is to be ensured.
- Freshwater fish cultivation shall be started where ever possible.
- Initiatives to ensure availability of water shall be made in consonance with the terrain of the land. The landscape, constitution of the soil, position of the slope, depth f the soil, nature of rock formations, soil erosion of the area has to be the parameters while proceeding with the initiatives.
- The quantum of water flushed through canals shall be more productive and zero wastage.
- Rainwater pits shall be dug scientifically to aid the penetration of more rainwater into the soil.
- Catch the rain where it falls. Maintaining the existing rain harvesting tanks play a vital role in this regard. Ensure that they are kept in good condition in future also.
- Training for swimming shall be commenced in the ponds and other water bodies as far as possible.
- Check dams, contour infiltration pits, bunds play a crucial role in augmenting our water resources, especially during the summer rainfall.
- The purity and sanitation of water in the school wells shall be ensured by using disinfectants and bleaching powder and so on.
- The rainwater falling within the compound of the school shall be conserved through infiltration pits and contour trenches in such a way that water penetrates through the soil.
- The above activities can be extended to our homes also because groundwater recharge has become the need of the day. Each family has to make their homestead into a watershed.
HYGENIC- WASTE DISPOSAL
- Ponds and wells have to be desilted and cleaned. Algae, moss and plastic waste in these waterbodies are eliminated. Drinkable water is preserved in a pure and pristine way.
- Ensure that garbage is not thrown in public places.
- Collection of solid waste.
- The heaped-up garbage in every locality is removed with the participation of the People’s Forum and the resident’s association.
- Composting of organic waste at the decentralized community level.
- Treatment of stagnant water at the source.
- Organic and degradable waste from the domestic and small establishments be disposed of at the source itself. Ensure that such wastes are not taken out from the premises.
- Top priority shall be given by the Govt institutions to mitigate organic and inorganic waste.
- Encouraging more swap shop entrepreneurs and scrap business in each district.
- Imparting the message of waste disposal and familiarizing the various methods of waste management in the hospitals, hotels and commercial establishments.
- Say No to plastic – Assuring zero plastic shops and commercial establishments.
- Agriculture Department dispenses vegetable seed kits to the discerning groups through Krishibhavan, Kudumbasree, NABARD Farmers Club and NGOs. But, many of the households are not aware of the initiatives. Ensure that each household receives these kits.
- Ensure to produce sufficient vegetables in the lands lying barren in each Panchayath through Kudumbasre groups.
- Seed banks shall be linked with MGNREGs through farmers group.
- Haritha Sena (Green Force) shall be constituted in the school level. Vegetable gardens shall be introduced by the Haritha Senas at schools. The resulting product shall be utilized for the Noon- Meal programmes of the schools so that students will get pesticide-free safe food.
- More encouragement shall be given to the kitchen garden.