MISSION – HARITHA KERALAM
Hygienic Waste Management for effective waste disposal, soil and water conservation. Agricultural development with a special thrust on organic farming are the three focal points of Mission Haritha Keralam. It is a public-centric Mission designed to be implemented under the stewardship of the local self-governing bodies encompassing voluntary organizations, NGOs, social activists, environmentalists, students, youths and other discerning individuals and groups. The following three-tier activities have to be coordinated in letter and spirit in order to achieve the objectives of the Mission.
- The planning and implementation of the projects shall be made under the leadership of the local self-governing bodies wherein one exclusive scheme for the local area (Single Plan) shall be envisaged. Other schemes shall be implemented through respective departments and institutions.
- The Schemes of the Central and State Governments and the resources under various Departments shall incorporate with the schemes envisaged in the Haritha Keralam Mission.
- The schemes and the activities formulated and conceived for implementation by the general public shall be incorporated with schemes of the Mission Haritha Keralam Scheme.
The local bodies shall coordinate the activities of different Govt. department for formulating such general public schemes. The technical know-how and support for the general public schemes shall be made available through Mission Haritha Keralam as and when required. A massive public line up is anticipated under the leadership of the Local self-governing bodies in order to achieve the objectives of the Mission in the next 5 years.
Hygiene, Sanitation and Water abundance which were once esteemed as the salient features of Kerala have to be redeemed. Enhancing the production of safe and non-toxic food products is another domain which requires much emphasis. Activities at the grass root level to combat challenges like climate change, global warming, water pollution, disruptions in the weather patterns are also on the ‘to-do’ list of Mission Haritha Keralam.
GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF MISSION HARITHA KERALAM
- Kerala is blessed with copious rainfall, rivers, canals, backwaters and ponds. Mission Haritha Keralam aims to ensure that no havoc is wrecked to our Water sources, Earth, Air, Soil and Water. While developmental activities are undertaken by the Local self-governing entities and the society at large. The mission also assures water opulence in its sources in the purest and pristine form with a perennial availability.
- To act as a catalyst in the composition of the comprehensive projects foreseeing the tenets of environmental safety, productivity, and self-sustainability.
- To ensure that the laws pertaining to Hygienic Waste Management domain are strictly adhered to, also to see that scientific ways of waste management are practiced with the active participation of local people and local self-governing institutions.
- To instill awareness of rain harvesting and groundwater recharging among the public Water conservation shall be the focal point in each panchayat.
- Action to plant herbal shrubs, medicinal plants, fruit-bearing trees, multi-utility trees invariably.
- The resources of Nature such as Air, Water, and Soil shall be conserved and utilized scientifically in an eco-friendly manner. They shall be preserved and maintained in tune with Nature.
- The green canopy of the State shall be redeemed. Multi-utility trees which do not harm the ecosystem shall be planted on a massive scale. Thereby, a fresh lease of greenery is permeated throughout the State.
- Ensuring excellent coordination of Government agencies which imparts basic services and also for their efficient distribution of resources and their maintenance.
- Resources in the domain of the social commitments at the individual and institutional level shall be synchronized with the human resource.
PERFORMANCE APPROACH – IN GENERAL
- The polluted, dried up, disused, silted up watercourses have to be restored and revived. Their maintenance, protection, and distribution shall be entrusted to People’s forum.
- The activities and the performance of the Agencies and Departments in the spectrum of Hygienic Waste Management, Agriculture and Water Resources shall be coordinated with the local self-governing entities and extend the work into larger areas.
- The objectives, technical expertise, and resources prevailing in the domain of Hygienic Waste Management, Agriculture and Water Resources shall be exploited to the maximum possible extent for the successful implementation of the projects envisioned by the Mission.
- The complexities and the practical difficulties confronting the local self-governing entities in the realm of Hygienic Waste Management, Agriculture and Water Resources shall be examined and interpreted with aid of the modern technological expertise and to find out solutions.
- The Local self-governing bodies shall integrate detailed project reports in the domain of primary production, water resources, hygienic waste management and execute them in a comprehensive manner.
- Conducting activities of agricultural, watershed treatment and other water distribution activities around the water bodies with people’s participation.
- Traditional knowledge assimilation in the regional level in the areas of surface water (irrigation), groundwater, drinking water, and pollution control shall be amalgamated with the technical expertise and modern technologies appropriately for the developmental activities to the possible extent.